Small Pets Are Not Toys
- Never buy an animal on impulse. You are toying with life.
- Store bought cages are very, very rarely large enough for your pet
- Never give a small pet to a child as a gift.
- Never leave a small child alone with a small pet.
- Fish do not belong in fish bowls.
- rabbits do not belong in cages.
- store bought bird cages are too small for any bird larger than a finch.
- chinchillas and rabbits live from 8 to 14 years.
- Some reptiles will only eat live feed. Are you prepared for that?
- Small rodents and rabbits can die of heart attacks when scared. Do you have a quiet home for your new pet?
- adopt when possible.
FUCKING THANK YOU
Nothing makes me more angry than people treating small birds like shit (all animals of course, but birds are close to me heart).
I’ve never seen a ‘guinea pig cage’ that is a suitable size for a guinea pig to live in full time And ‘guinea pig cages’ being marketed for rats and ferrets because they have one small platform and ladder? Bullshit.
Don’t walk into petco, petsmart or another pet store that sells live animals and let yourself be fooled by pet stores who keep animals in disgusting, cramped conditions. Or petstores who market cheap food, claim small animals don’t require vet care, say something along the lines of ‘oh, they can eat anything!’ Etc. Do your research. Never trust petstore employees, those animals are products to them.
Every single domestic animal on this entire planet deserves proper living conditions, a healthy diet, at least one companion of their species (if they are social animals), vet care, mental stimulation, time outside their enclosure (accepting fish, of course), and freedom from pain and stress. If you can’t provide all of these, do not adopt an animal.
There is no ‘just a fish’ or ‘just a hamster. Chances are, if these phrases leave your mouth, you’re ‘just a neglectful/abusive person’.
*chinchillas can live longer than 14, sometimes up to 20 years.